Wednesday, July 2, 2008

tact

The following is a true story told by my professor about his friend.

A young woman and her date arrived at a formal ball, the entrance of which required the descent of a long flight of stairs into the middle of the room. Her date wore a tux and she wore a gown and together they prepared to make a graceful appearance. At the top, the girl extended her foot to take a step, but she snagged her shoe in the front hem of her dress. She tumbled head over heels the entire way down the curving staircase, her date running beside her, futilely trying to catch her. When she landed at the bottom, she rose immediately to her feet, uninjured but extremely embarrassed. All eyes were on her. Before she could recover herself, her date fished for his wallet and pulled from it a twenty-dollar bill. Handing it to her, he said casually, "Well, I admit, I didn't think you had the guts to do it."

My professor told this story to demonstrate the idea that interpretation of a situation changes its meaning, as well as Goffman's definition that tact is the protection of another's performance.

Bravo, to the stud in the tux!

3 comments:

  1. How fabulous! That's the most awesome story I've ever heard.

    It makes me really wish I was that quick on my feet. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A variation on this theme...

    Seth Martinez told me this one.. it's not my fault!! It is funny though. :) He said that when he was at BYU-I there was this guy in who had just finished taking his test in the testing center and when he stood up to turn in the test, he "ripped the loudest fart you would ever hear in a silent room" (Seth Martinez, 2008)

    The guy turned around and put a dollar bill on the girl's desk behind him and said, "Wow. I really didn't think you would do it."

    Awesome post. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete