Monday, August 4, 2008

my rendering of aslan

In art class today, we went to the Bean Museum and drew animals. We had to do sketches and then one final picture. I felt no passion for antelopes or beavers, and I wanted to enjoy the project; so, I sat myself in front of a lion--not an eating or pouncing lion, but a stately lion, looking proudly and serenely down over his nose at me. I couldn't use charcoal or graphite for him, heaven forbid, so I used a clay-colored crayon. I fell in love with him as I drew. I felt worshipful of the subject and careful with my copy. I thought of CS Lewis. Families came through and many stopped and watched me work. One little boy told me that I "drew that nice." A little girl informed her mother that she "wants to draw one of those." Mothers told their children to practice so they could draw like that one day. One woman told me that my work was beautiful; another said it was stunning. I felt gratified by these compliments, of course. But I was most pleased that in the end it came out exactly as I pictured it. He looks like a King.

2 comments:

  1. Can you take a picture of your Aslan and post it? I'm dying to see your masterpiece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I really want to see your drawing.

    Then I'm going to print copies of it and sell it at art auctions as my own work, thereby earning thousands, nay, millions of dollars to put me through college. :) If you come visit me in DC you can have some of the money.

    ReplyDelete