Wednesday, August 19, 2009

wicked

Too many people have too few perfect nights. Last Wednesday was one for me. The whole night was enchanted. Kevin took me to see Wicked. I have wanted to see that musical for four years now, ever since Tarythe introduced me to the soundtrack.

For starters, there was the boy. If I could have picked anyone in the world to take me out, I would have chosen him. I couldn't design a better match for me if I tried. I might have accidentally left out the part where he would carry an umbrella over my head while we walked past a fountain. And then put him in a suit with a blue dress shirt! I could hardly stop myself from swooning.

Secondly, I wore the dress of all dresses. I did design a perfect dress, exchanging emails with Mom in the hopes of constructing it. Then we found it at Nordstroms in all its Audrey-fitting glory. I felt radiant, like an internal spotlight were shining from me and on me. I brimmed with good will and innocuous vanity.

And then there was the play itself, everything I had hoped for and more. The music was richer, the dialogue funnier and the pathos fuller than I dreamed it would be. I intermittently clapped and laughed, leaned forward eagerly in my seat, leaped from it during applause, wept during For Good and squeezed Kevin's arm in delight. The best part was, not just the play, but seeing it after desiring to for so long. It was a dream come true. And happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.

When Kevin and I meandered back to his car along a dark and deserted path, past several ancient and twisted trees, I felt utterly and perfectly happy.

4 comments:

  1. Number 1 - I'm so glad you saw Wicked and that it was every bit what you had hoped. I felt the same way...both times I saw it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Maybe we should plan so we can see it together.

    Number 2 - I want to have a guitar sing along at your "reception." I can't think of anything more great

    Number 3 - I'm glad you can recognize what's really important to you and I hope you always remember it. You've never been by the book, and you've always truly cherished memories and people over things. I love that about you.

    Sorry, I'm kind of responding to all your blogs in one post. Let's chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you wore pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you wore pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book Wicked and loved it. I went to see the play Wicked and love it 100 times more. My favorite play ever!

    ReplyDelete