Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One Year

I have struggled to sum up a year of marriage, to write any ode to my first year with my husband. Dickens beat me to the words, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," so I am left empty handed.

Trials:
dealing with depression
being accountable to someone else for my use of time and money
moving twice
realizing after the wedding that I no longer had a plan or a specific goal
Kevin's month-long absence
feelings of inadequacy

Blessings:
our cruise
shared love for budgeting, macaroni and cheese, and Castle
attending the temple almost every month
establishing habits of daily scripture reading and prayer together
spending evenings with my best friend

The most difficult and rewarding part of the past year has been the ongoing undertaking of learning to communicate more sincerely and openly. Turns out, it's hard to do.

1 comment:

  1. No kidding! Communicating is hard, hard, hard. What to say, when to say it, how to say it, IF you should say it, how much to say and when to STOP...and if you get it mostly right but mess up on just one of those things (like when, for instance), it can ruin the whole thing.

    Scott and I are much better at it, after 5 years, but sometimes I still really suck. Encouraging, isn't it? :)

    You're fabulous! I miss you so so so so so so so so so so so so much.

    ReplyDelete