Wednesday, January 25, 2006

on the top of the world

Work has become the place where I am most myself. Part of it is because I am confident. I am a dang fine worker and my supervisors and coworkers know it. I am not assigned a station in the dishroom. I am the rescuer, running from disaster to disaster and making it right. But there is something else that lifts my head and gives me the confidence to smile at the charmingly cute grill worker who walks through every day between the hours of seven and nine. It's the music.

I do not enjoy the music of my roommates, for the most part. I used to think I liked all music, but now I know that I despise hip-hop. And while I like many songs of the country variety, what I really love are the hits of the sixties and seventies. Joyce has made comments to me about how dad gave us our music tastes, and it's true. However appealing Dashboard Confessional is at times, there is never a moment when I don't want to hear Simon and Garfunkel. But alas, I do not own a single CD of any of the music that I love. And that is why I need work.

The radio station is named something totally stupid, cozy 104.1 maybe, but it is followed by "all the hits of the sixties and seventies". Why, it's like discovering my soul mate!--as actually I have when I see who in the dishroom or of those walking through are singing along. Turns out, both boys to whom I give "the look" know the words to Beach Boys, Carpenters, Beatles and a few others. Good boys, Lloyd. I find myself singing along to every song. Every single flippin' one. I even know The Lover's Concerto (sung by the Supremes), not to mention that it is a "cover" of Minuet in G. I know the words to Margaritaville, including the profanity. No, Nora, I didn't omit it, even on BYU campus.

Another great part of my dishroom experience every night is that the clanging and banging of dishes is too loud for my singing to be heard, so I feel free to belt it at the top of my lungs. If I also dance from the silverware station to the dishwasher, then that's my own concern.

I can't wait for work on Thursday. Maybe they'll play some more CCR!

3 comments:

  1. We have definitely been missing the Simon and Garfunkel genius music in our apartment. I have a CD of theirs, I just don't think it works. Let's try it baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one!!! Why has no one asked me? Good ol' S&G. (S&G? What?! Is that like 'just need some R&R'? 'Some TLC'?) Anyway.

    And as Nora would say to your singing every single word, "Atta girl."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you lots! (Even if you are crazy dancing in the dishroom:) ) I hope you are doing well these days. Whether you want congrats or condolances or neither, you got it from me. Like I said, I love you lots.

    ReplyDelete