Thursday, November 4, 2010

book clubs

As of this afternoon, I am participating in two book clubs. The first is being set up by a woman my age for the "newly marrieds" she knows. Since everyone is so busy, we will meet every other month and the hostess picks the book. Fine. But...it is my experience that new book clubs fall apart quickly, because the interest is social and fleeting. The purpose of this is for the newly marrieds to bond. It is not focused on the books. The people coming are not the most intellectual or experienced people I know. And the founder of our book club grates on me like sandpaper on a sunburn. She is a mean gossip, bless her heart, who likes dominating social situations. But I felt desperate to find a place to make friends. So I joined.

Today I got a call from my visiting teacher. She invited me to go to a book club with her this month. It has been going on for years and has some ten regulars, plus others who come occasionally. They meet the third Tuesday of every month. And they talk about the books. "These are really intelligent women, Audrey. We're not getting together to socialize. Sure, that happens too, but we get together because we want to talk about a book." I think I heard angels sing when she said that. I am a terrible socialite, but get me talking about a book and all my inhibitions go away. That is my passion. And she was right: these women are smart. These are the classy, intelligent women that I admire at church, plus their friends and neighbors. They are in all walks of life, and I am sure to be the youngest one there, which suits me just fine. And the woman who invited me is delightful and genuinely kind, (it's nice to know that despite that, we actually have something in common) so I know this will be an inviting place to be, a real circle. I am excited to participate.

3 comments:

  1. 10 points for using "bless her heart" when talking about someone you extremely dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the heck is a book? is it like a video game that you let someone else play for you and tell you how it ends? sounds like you should look into an MMORPBC... Massively Multi-player Online Roleplaying Book Club.

    ReplyDelete